Club History

The Beginnings

On the 14th April 1938 eight prominent local businessmen met in a room in Egan’s Central Hotel, Newcastle West to decide and agree on the formation of a Golf Club. After a number of meetings negotiations were successfully concluded with a local landowner, Mr. McCoy, to lease land at Killeline and the Club was on its way.

The dual role of giving lessons to members and to supervising the development work on the course was given to a Mr D. Murray, a professional golfer from Tipperary. Caddies were a prominent feature of the early days of the Club with four local men recorded as being official caddies of the Club.

The official opening of the Club took place on the 14th September 1938 when the V. Rev. Canon Hannon drove off the first tee. This was a huge event in the area and marked the beginning of our journey. The first competition was held on the 21st September 1938 and was won by Mr. D. O’ Dwyer with Mr J. Ambrose second.

The earliest record of the first hole in one is recorded as being achieved by Mr James Griffin. This was of such significance that a report on it was sent to the Press for publication. During the war rationing of goods and essentials was a way of life and this also extended to the use of golf balls. On the 31st March 1942 it was decided to ration golf balls to one per month. If a member wanted to have a ball re-covered it would cost 1s 3d for each ball.

It was on the 23rd March 1942 that affiliation to the Golfing Union of Ireland was discussed and agreed.

The Move to Rathgonan

In 1992 at a specially convened meeting it was decided, after much discussion, to relocate the existing 9 hole Club to a location at Rathgonan just outside the village of Ardagh and to develop an 18 hole Championship course.

This foresightedness by the Committees and Members has paid off handsomely for all members as we now enjoy one of the finest parkland courses in the South West and as every year goes by its reputation has gown to such an extent that it is now on the list of most golfers as a must play course.

Play commenced on the new course in May of 1994 and over the past number of years substantial development work has been carried out which has resulted in the creation of a magnificent course and clubhouse facilities. One of the many important decisions taken by the Club has been to ensure that all members and visitors enjoy the best of facilities and the warmest of welcomes.

The Club has invested heavily in course development and maintenance, clubhouse, bar and catering facilities, provision of a 10 bay fully covered and floodlit driving range,18 hole putting green, chipping green and a Pro-shop headed by a qualified Professional.

Newcastle West Golf Club, from humble beginnings in 1938, has evolved into one of the finest parkland courses in the South West and with the drive, ambition and forward thinking attitude of its committees and members it will continue to lead the way in Golf Club development well into the future.

75th Anniversary Journal

A Journal was launched in the summer of 2013 as part of the Club’s 75th Anniversary celebrations. It is a collection of 75 years of memories and photos from the foundation of the club at Killeline in 1938 to our wonderful new home in Rathgonan, the home of the Ardagh Chalice. This is a must read for all friends of Newcastle West Golf Club. Call to the Office and pick up a copy for €5 or to order online and we will post worldwide.

1994 Video on the move to Rathgonan

1994 Official Opening

1994 Opening Exhibition Match

75th Anniversary Book Launch